Briggz5d

Truth about The Cosmic Rays Text message - Hoax?
« on: August 16, 2012, 02:25 PM »
Like many others, I also received the "Cosmic Rays" text message last night from my SIS!!! (She never texts unless its important)

Tonight 12:30 am to 3:30 am Cosmo rays entering earth from mars. So switch off your mobile at night. Don’t keep your cell with you & put it away while you are sleeping because they are too much dangerous rays: NASA informs BBC NEWS. Pls spread this news.

Some immediately forwarded it to everyone on their contact list and social media just got crazy with it.. others turned off their mobile phones, removed batteries and locked it away in the kitchen or bathroom.. lol i really don't blame y'all - it shows you have great value for your life!

The Truth About Cosmic Rays
First, Mars cannot emit harmful radiation because it is not a star. Cosmic rays are emitted by stars. i.e bodies that are undergoing nuclear reactions that is fusion (as occurs in our sun) or fission (as occurs in nuclear reactors). Mars is neither. It is a planet that just reflects sunlight. It cannot emit cosmic radiation. - JourneyTotheStars -

The Earth’s magnetosphere prevents most of the particles from the Sun, carried in the solar wind, from hitting the Earth. Image credit: milesmathis.com

That "Cosmic Rays entering earth from mars" message started in 2008 as an April fools Joke!! and there's no truth to it.
BBC, NASA and others have repeatedly made statements disassociating themselves from such message.
You can read about Cosmic Rays on NASA's Website

The Rant
Now, How Sick in the Head and Jobless would someone have to be when originating such message?
1st April of every year is the ONLY day one is allowed to BE A FOOL without being Judged, so why would anyone extend it to August?

Act stupid all you want.. I don't mind because it makes for a good laugh. Just don't try passing on that foolishness to others.

Please, Don't pass on unverified and dubious messages capable of creating unnecessary panic, rather find out about it and educate others.
Share this with friends...

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 04:58 PM by Briggz5d »